MANILA, Philippines – Two of the five persons being linked to the massacre of a family in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan will no longer have their day in court.
On Wednesday, July 5, Roosebelt Sorima, alias Ponga, was declared dead upon arrival at the hospital after he was repeatedly shot in front of his children and siblings by two masked individuals at his home in Brgy. Sto Cristo. The assailants were able to flee following the crime.
On Tuesday, July 4, Ronaldo Pacinos, alias Inggo, was also found dead in the same village in San Jose del Monte. He appeared to have been a victim of summary execution. His body, with five stand wounds, was found with a cardboard that read, “Rapist, Tulak – Wag Tularan.” Four of Pacinos’ fingers were chopped off.
Meanwhile, Alvin Mabesa, the third man, whom authorities also consider as another person of interest in the massacre, has gone missing. Like the others being linked to the crime, Mabesa, the brother-in-law of Sorima, reportedly used to fetch water near the house of the victims.
Eliza Roa, the sister of Mabesa, said that according to witnesses, they saw her brother being boarded by two masked persons on a van that didn’t have a plate number.
According to 26-year-old construction worker Carmelino “Miling” Ibañes, the prime suspect in the June 27 gruesome killings, he alone committed the murder of his neighbors 58-year-old Auring Dizon, her 28-year-old daughter Estrella Dizon-Carlos, and the latter’s children Donnie, 11; Ella, 7; and Dexter Jr., 1.
But after he was convinced by his family to disclose what really happened, Ibañes made an extrajudicial confession last June 29 that he was with two other men alias Tony and Inggo when he carried out the grisly murders.
Ibañes said he, Tony, and Inggo were under the influence of alcohol and illegal drugs when they killed the victims. He also said that he had raped Auring and Estrella. In an earlier media interview, Ibañes said that before the crime, they took P150 worth of shabu during a drinking spree.
Ibañes and alias Tony had already been arrested by authorities.
‘My son was innocent’
On Wednesday, Sorima’s mother said her son was innocent. Rosario said Roosebelt would have fled if he was guilty and she would not also allow him to stay in her house.
“Hindi ko naman tinatago.’Yang anak kong ‘yan walang kasalanan. Kung siya po ang may kasalanan, dapat tumakas na ‘yan.”
Rosario said Sorima had cooperated with authorities in their investigation into the killings and even posed with Gen. Ronald dela Rosa for a photo when the Philippine National Police chief went to the wake of the five victims last Tuesday.
She said their neighbors didn’t help them bring Sorima to the hospital.
“(N)anonood lang ‘yong mga kapitbahay ko. Walang tumulong sa’ming bumuhat sa anak ko. Sana may buhay pa ‘yon kung binuhat agad nila [Our neighbors were just watching us. They didn’t help us carry my son. He could have still been alive if they immediately carried him],” said Rosario.
‘Magkita tayo, patay ka’
On Monday, July 3, President Rodrigo Duterte also went to the wake of the victims at Northridge Royale Subdivision and vowed justice for the family.
Duterte said time would come that he would see the perpetrator and he would kill him.
“Basta ako, sabi ko, patayin ko. Wala naman akong sinabi may inuutusan ako. Basta pagdating ng panahon, magkita tayo, patay ka,” the President told reporters after attending the wake.
On Wednesday, July 5, Dela Rosa defended the chief executive after he threatened those behind the massacre.
“Wala naman siyang inutusan in particular. Wala man siyang sinabi na, ‘Ikaw, Bato, patayin mo ‘yan.’ Wala naman siyang sinabing gano’n di ba? Out of dismay sa sitwasyon. Galit na galit siya doon sa mga tao na ‘yon na gumawa ng krimen,” the PNO chief told reporters at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
[He didn’t order anyone in particular. He didn’t say that, ‘You, Bato, kill them.’ He didn’t say something like that. It was out of dismay over the situation. He was very angry at those who did the crime.]