In an alarming statement, President Rodrigo ‘Digong’ Duterte threatened to declare nationwide martial law to be effective next week if forewarned massive protests by communists and other leftists against his rule will turn violent or disruptive, his defense chief said.
In a press conference on Friday, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told reporters the tense talk he had with the president earlier this week. Lorenzana said that Duterte is considering the option of declaring martial law if things get out of hand.
A group coalition who calls themselves the Movement Against Tyranny announced that they will be having massive scheduled protests on Sep 21, Thursday, which is incidentally the 45-year anniversary of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos mandating his martial law.
The group is protesting against Duterte’s bloody war against drugs which has resulted in the death of innocent lives. The Channel News Asia claimed that as of today, there have been more than 3,800 people in police anti-drug operations since he started his term 15 months ago, while thousands other have been murdered under suspicious circumstances.
According to a report published in Inquirer, the massive rally is said to take place in a park in Manila. Lorenzana implied that if the said protest against Duterte’s rule turns violent and disruptive, the president will have no other chance but to settle matters with an iron fist by mandating martial law.
“He said, if the left will try to have a massive protest, start fires on the streets, they will disrupt the country, then I might (declare martial law).”
In spite of the serious threat, Lorenzana clarified that the chances of Duterte declaring martial law next week are very slim. For one thing, Lorenzana doubted that the scheduled protests would be as massive as the organizers are claiming.
“But the president is indeed very concerned because it might get out of hand. So he said I might declare martial law.”
As expected, this announcement sparked an outrage from the people in social media, Duterte has been infamous for his hasty and bold statements before, and people are crossing their fingers that this announcement will be one of his empty threats.
Do you think the president will pursue his plan? Your opinion counts, so don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with us in the comments section below. For more updates on this, feel free to follow our website.